Monday, December 6, 2010

Feb 06, 2010 - Fort DeSoto to North Fort Myers


Geocaching
Since we got the rPod I’ve been asked a lot of stuff in campgrounds: how does it handle, how much does it weigh, does your wife have one too, etc. Plus I’ve been asked several times which engine we had in our tow vehicle. Well, I knew it was a V8, but frankly I couldn’t remember which one. I bought it off the lot before we had the pod. So after the first time someone asked me, I made sure I knew the answer, because that’s what guys do: they compare rigs. Sure enough, in a rest stop along I-75 in TN we pulled up next to a couple from Canada, and after a few howdys, he started asking questions about the pod, and then, of course, he asked, "which engine do you have?" Hah! I was able to answer him with complete confidence and without hesitation. Then he asked me about the transmission, and again, I was able to supply the answer. I felt prepared, ready for anything that might be thrown at me on the oral exam. Pffft.

In the campground yesterday, a fella struck up a conversation; the topic turned to the pod, and then, just like clockwork, to the tow vehicle. The usual questions and answers were exchanged; so far so good. But then he dropped the bomb, the one thing I wasn’t sure of: "What rear end you got in that truck?"

Nuts. I took a stab at it, then later looked it up to confirm I had given him the right answer. I had. It’s a 3.73, in case anyone wants to know.


Beth geocaching

Since we were mostly packed up from the night before, we hitched up the pod, checked out and drove to the gigantic parking lot at the North Beach. It’s only a couple of hours to the Seminole Campground so we decided to kill some time by spending a couple of hours on our bikes doing some geocaching in the area. We managed to find 5 caches. The wind and waves were really coming in off the gulf, and there was nobody out on the fishing pier. It was cold enough we had to dig the fleece jackets back out.

The trip to Seminole Campgroud in North Fort Myers went fine. The winds were gusting about 40 MPH and we could feel the pod being pushed around a little, so we were a bit nervous about going over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. It’s a long way up in the air. But no problems.

Arrived about 3:00, and our friends Floyd and Sue arrived about an hour later. The park is furnishing their RV, and has it all set up in the site next to ours. They have seasonal residents here, and so they have all sorts of organized activities going on. Tomorrow in the "community room" there’s a Super Bowl party. The owner has a 50" flat screen TV he’s going to set up so anyone who wants can come and see the game.

By the time we both got set up, grabbed some dinner, and hit the Publix for some supplies, it was well after dark. Tomorrow we’ll explore the park a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I'll receive it in my email.