Tuesday, July 5, 2011

June 6, 2011 - Port Elgin and Poutine

Today we’ve decided to more thoroughly explore the bike trails in the park. They’re more suited for mountain bikes than road bikes, but all are pretty clear of tree roots and rocks. We did come across a spot or two with recently downed trees across the trail, but were able to duck under them as we rode. At least Beth was. I didn’t duck quite far enough and ended up putting a gouge in the top of my bike helmet.  Plus for a few minutes afterwards everything sounded sort of echo-ey, like I had fallen down the well.

Just across the road from the park is the beginning of a very nice, flat, easy trail.  It’s about a 20 minute ride into Port Elgin. After exploring town a bit by bike we decided to stop for a bite at a local diner. I had a hankerin’ for fish and chips, so I scanned that section of the menu, and while noting the various combos one can put together when ordering their fish, I had an episode of déjà vu.

The menu said that you could have either chips, fries, or “poutine” with your fish. I saw poutine on the menu board at a Canadian McDonald’s earlier in our trip, and filed it away in the back of my mind for later investigation. So now here it was again. This is no coincidence. It must be a popular regional delicacy, like Pennsylvania Scrapple, New England Chow Mein Sandwich, or Alaskan Akutaq. Or maybe it was a seasonal thing best eaten fresh, like morel mushrooms, baby asparagus, or rhubarb. It was time to get to the bottom of this mystery. Too embarrassed to ask the waitress, I Googled poutine. Turns out that it’s “french fries with brown gravy and cheese curds.” So then I had to Google cheese curds.

I love you Canadians, but c’mon. Seriously?

On the other hand, Canadians have a succulent delicacy known as "butter tarts" which we have become familiar with during our previous trips by boat. Butter tarts, in their purest form, are basically brown sugar, flower, and butter. They can be jazzed up with walnuts or other fillings, but we like the untainted plain ones the best. Beth likes to warm them up just a touch in the microwave, but I like them cold. A fair way to describe the taste might be liquid caramel corn. I'm sure they only have around 384,000 calories each, but still, you must buy some to try. Be sure to buy from a baker or local shop. They have them in the grocery stores, but frankly, they just don't cut it. I'm just sayin'.

Pure, untainted butter tarts. Oops, there's two missing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I'll receive it in my email.